27 July 2008

The QUAD-fecta (is that a word?) of LOVE...

I read something interesting recently... Basically it said that there are four components to attraction or "chemistry", and without all four of those components intact, a relationship is not sustainable for a long period of time. The four are physical attraction, emotional attraction, mental attraction and spiritual attraction. The premise is that physical attraction is the initial thing that gets your juices flowing and attracts you to a person. But it also fades very quickly, sometimes within a few months or even weeks. The second part is emotional attraction, which means you become emotionally attached to other person - you care about them, their life and what happens to them... The third is mental attraction, which is to say that the two of you can have a good conversation and find each other mentally stimulating. The fourth is spiritual attraction - your "moral compass" so to speak, or your values and what is important to you - do yours match up well, or attract, to those of your partner? So the thought is that we by nature are all trying to locate a true soul mate, and in order to obtain that bliss, you need all four of these elements in your relationship. And also, that initial physical "zing" that eventually fades can be sustained if you have the other three. Don't you all think this is really interesting? I guess it's kind of common sense, but the way it was written really struck a chord with me. Only time can tell whether you have all four with someone which is why relationships break up at different stages - with some people you have more elements with that you do others, so those relationships can be sustained for a longer period of time.

Of course, not everyone is privy to such wisdom, and you have to deal with people and their weird phobias and feelings. Sometimes individuals can screw up something really good because of their own fears or apprehensions. But I guess that's where the theory that everything happens for a reason comes into play.

I guess I'm in the exploration stage as to whether I have all four right now - only time will tell. I think there is potential to say maybe I do, and for now that makes me happy!

So - do you have all four in your life and partner? If yes, we're all jealous. Give us your secrets.. If no, why not? You deserve it! We deserve it! Go get it and be happy!

PS to all my married friends, I truly hope you have all four with your spouse and that you enjoy my "single-girl" slant to my posts. Because this is my life, and it's what I like to write about so you'll all have to deal with it, even if it doesn't necessarily apply to you. (I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.)

No comments: