08 October 2008

Musings....

So, lots of you have been asking for updates on how I'm adjusting to the single mom thing and how the kiddos are doing.... Long story short, it's fine! Not that different than before - my evenings are very similar to how they were in Ohio. The biggest difference is that there's no opportunity for a break if you get sick, tired, or whatever. But mostly - day to day - everything is smooth sailing. Of course it helps that I have two extremely good kids - they listen well, help around the house and are generally great. They have their moments of course, and love to pick on each other... But they also take care of each other and are very close. It's great to see.

So for all of you who've asked - here's a run down of our Monday to Friday days... This is our "ideal" morning - many days I hit snooze a few extra times and the whole production gets pushed back a few minutes.

6:00 am - Alarm goes off. I hit snooze.
6:09 am - Alarm goes off. Again. I hit snooze. Again.
6:15 am - Drag myself out of bed and turn on shower
6:17 am - Turn on hall light and wake up both kids
6:20 am - I shower while they both get dressed
6:35 am - Dry my hair, finish dressing kids, and help them with their teeth (yes, all at once)
6:40 am - Straighten hair, makeup, brush Cobby hair, put Maddie's hair up in her choice of "fashion" for the day
6:55 am - Down the stairs to the kitchen, get purse, lunches, etc.
6:57 am - Backpacks on and downstairs to put on shoes / jackets
7:00 am - In car and driving to daycare
7:15 am - Arrive at daycare
7:25 am - Leave daycare
7:40 am - Hopefully have time to stop for coffee somewhere...
7:50 am - Arrive at work
12:00 pm - I run as many errands as possible at lunch - grocery, post office, bank, etc.
5:00 pm - Leave work to pick up kids
5:20 pm - Get to daycare and collect my cargo... :)
5:30 pm - Leave daycare for home
5:45 pm - Arrive home, immediately sit down to do homework (math, spelling and reading every night plus occasional special projects)
6:00 pm - I cook dinner, Maddie reads to herself, Cobby plays
6:15 pm - Eat dinner together
6:40 pm - Clean up kitchen, throw in some laundry, or hoover, etc.
6:45 pm - Play games (Candyland or Chutes and Ladders usually), read to kids, play with toys, etc.
7:30 pm - Kids showers / brush teeth
7:45 to 8:00 pm - Read some more, kids in bed

So that's it! That's our basic Mon - Fri routine. It works for us, and I still get quality time to eat with them, play with them, and read to them every day. We hardly ever turn on our television during the week, and I think that's a good thing. On Friday nights they stay up "late" (about 9-ish) and we'll sometimes watch a movie together.

I am tired of course, and like I mentioned above, the main difference is the lack of opportunity for a break if you need one. But I wouldn't change a thing. Soon we'll be working in a few extra activities - Maddie wants to do cheerleading again so I need to get that organized for her, and she will start CCD (religious ed) in a couple weeks.

Everything else with me is good - work is good, Matt is great. For my Cincy pals who haven't already heard - I'm not coming back for Turkey Day.... Heading to MI with Matt and Allie to meet his fam (I'm very excited about this!). The kids will be there with their dad though.

Other than that, not much news! Life is good.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

What great T-Day plans! That will be great for you and Matt. Can't wait to hear about his family!